Radical Cure Article

Why prostate problems can develop?

Just below your bladder in front of your rectum is a small reproductive gland called the prostate. It wraps around the urethra, the tube that carries urine from your bladder. The prostate produces most of your semen, the fluid that carries sperm through the ducts (tubes). During orgasm, this prostate fluid is squeezed through the ducts, into the urethra, and out through the penis.


For a variety of reasons ranging from stress to bacterial infection, prostatic ducts may become inflamed, irritated, or blocked. That's when prostatitis may develop. Some medical conditions or procedures (such as strokes or catherterization) may also cause urinary retention and lead to prostatitis.


Bacterial infections cause only about 5%-10% of cases of prostatitis. In the other 90%-95%, due to chronic pelvic pain syndrome or asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis described above, the cause is not known. Prostate infectious agents are as follows for both acute and chronic infectious prostatitis:


Escherichia coli (E coli) is the bacterium most often the cause of prostate infections and approximately 80% of the bacterial pathogens are gram-negative organisms (for example, Escherichia coli, Enterobacter, Serratia, Pseudomonas, Enterococcus, and Proteus species).
Sexually transmitted disease-causing organisms also may cause infectious prostatitis especially in sexually active men under 35 years of age; the most usually identified organisms are Chlamydia, Neisseria, Trichomonas, and Ureaplasma.


The infectious agent (usually bacteria) may invade the prostate in two main ways. The bacteria from a previous urethral infection move through prostatic ducts into the prostate (occasionally termed retrograde infection). Movement of infected urine into the glandular prostate tissue can infect via ejaculatory ducts (occasionally termed antegrade infection).

    Pre:Does prostatitis cause erectile dysfunction and BPH?

    Next:How to diagnose prostatitis through examinations

    Related Articles